Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ultimate Small World Story

Background: Before you read this story, you have to know the details of Alma, Georgia. Therefore, click here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma,_Georgia. Alma is the hometown of mother's mother and is the definition of rural Georgia. Think cows, dirt roads, Baptist preachers, two stop lights, and 3,000 people in the whole town.

Today, I went to buy more school books from my friend who gave me free books last Friday. He owns a small stationary shop in downtown Ndola. As I was checking out, my friend, Manu Patel, asks me what state I am from. I tell him Georgia, and he tells me that his son runs a hotel outside of Savannah. I say that is cool and am sort of surprised that he has Georgia connections. Just as a natural flow of conversation I ask him where the hotel is located. He tells me Alma, Georgia and my jaw drops. I tell him that my grandmother is from Alma and that I have visited there often. We laugh for a second, and then thinking that there is only one hotel in Alma, I ask him if his son manages the Days Inn. He laughed again and told me that yes his son managed the Days Inn in which I have stayed.

What a small world! Whoever thought you could make Alma, Georgia connections in Ndola, Zambia. I don't think that I have ever made an Alma, Georgia connection in my life. Not to be derogatory but I didn't think people who live in Alma have connections outside of the state of Georgia. It is just that kind of place! Kinda crazy what surprises await you.....

2 comments:

  1. It's definitely a God thing!!!!No other way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm ... Granny does have children in other states.

    Do those not count?

    ReplyDelete