Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Police Frustrations

Today was a frustrating day. Most of the day went very well. I was able to play some good tennis at night and was very productive at work. On the way home someone hit my car from behind. It was not too bad of an accident, but my back bumper was destroyed and my trunk will not close because of the crash. Luckily, I was traveling with two Zambians; therefore, they talked to the people and took care of the logistics. The other driver admitted fault and was very nice. He did not want to report the accident to the police and would pay to have it fixed. I said that we needed to report it, and my Zambian friends agreed. It was the right decision and I would make the same decision again, but that does not mean that I don’t regret it.

It took ONE HOUR for the police to come to the accident. We had to rent a cab, go to the police station, come back and still wait on the police officer. When she finally got there, she gave us a sob story about how she was hungry and breast feeding; therefore, she needed a coke and a doughnut in order to do her job properly. I told the guys that that was ridiculous, but they said that we had to do it to make her happy and make sure everything went ok. After she came to the scene, we then had to drive back to the police station and wait for thirty more minutes while she wrote up the police report. It was a two and a half hour ordeal. I was never mad at the guy who hit me, but that police lady sure did get my blood boiling. My Zambians friends say that it is like this every time you deal with the police.

One of my favorite Zambian stories is told by Martha Temfwe, Lawrence’s wife. A long time ago when their boys were young and Lawrence was in the states, a couple of robbers came to the house. All the doors and gates were locked; therefore, the robbers could not enter the house. Knowing that they were safe inside the house Martha instinctively called the police and told them the situation. The police promptly asked her if she could go outside, get in her car, and come pick them up because they did not have any gas in their cars. Martha hung up the phone and waited for the robbers to leave. Zambia oh Zambia what will we do with you!

1 comment: