Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rain :)

We had a teacher training session today (they happen every Wednesday and Thursday). Today's topic was Rules, Consequences, and Procedures: How to Run an Efficient Classroom. The session went really well. Sometimes during the week I have a tendency to get discouraged about the work I am doing. In my opinion it is a natural thing, but at the same time you have to be aware of the difference that you are making. I realize that difference when I am delivering the sessions to the teachers. You can see the light bulbs start to flicker. That is always a good feeling. At the same time, we have to take this learning in the session and put it into practice in the classroom. It is useless unless we see changes in the classroom.

For example, today's lesson went great. They are understanding the concepts of how to create effective rules and procedures. At the same time the basis of the lesson is that effective rules and procedures create efficiency in the classroom which in turn creates more teaching time. The Zambian culture is not based upon efficiency though. It is the exact opposite; therefore, I am not only teaching a new concept, but a counter-cultural one at that. That is why follow up is so important for these lessons.

Today, we faced a new challenge- the rainy season. When it rains it pours here and it poured today. The rain season starts this week and continues until the end of March. I have included a video of what the rain is like. It is INTENSE! I don't believe the video does it justice. I was literally yelling at the top of my lungs to be heard by the teachers because the roofs are tin and there is no insulation. All of the teachers were also having to sit on one side of the classroom because the rain was coming through the windows on the opposite side. TIA- This is Africa!

1 comment: