Tuesday, September 1, 2009

All I Want to Do Is Look!!!

I need a car to get around Ndola by myself; therefore, David Temfwe and I stopped by the “car market” today. Buying a car is not that urgent, but it is on the to-do list. The “car market” is basically where men sit outside all day with used cars from Japan and wait for people to come haggle with them. Little did we know that just stopping by the car market would turn into a full day ordeal. We just wanted to look to see what the people had to offer, but that is not what the car dealers had in mind.


We stopped, looked, but did not see anything that we liked. One of the guys knew David though and said that he could bring a car by for us to look at. I asked David why we could not just leave and tell him that we were not interested, but he said that is not how business is done in Zambia. Therefore, the men brought a car by, but we did not like that one either. We had more errands to run, but before we could get back to the Jubilee Centre, the men had called David’s cell phone to tell him that they had another car that they wanted us to look at. They actually brought the next car to the Jubliee Centre! All of us stopped work for ten minutes to look at the car and drive it around. That car was in bad shape though; therefore, we told them no. We also told them that we would call them when we wanted to look at cars again. These people don’t take no for an answer though. At 4:45 p.m. in the afternoon, they brought another car by the office. Now that is persistent! I guess they think that we just hang out in the office all day and don’t work.


Their persistence may have paid off though. This last car that they brought by was in good condition with relative few kilometers on it. We will have to see what their price is. My color does not help the negotiations; therefore, I have taken a back seat in the process. I still don’t know what I think of their persistence. I love the effort that they are putting in to becoming a good salesman, but in all honesty it kinda puts me off a little bit. I kinda want to say, “Settle down!” I guess that I get this from my father. It takes him three months to make a major purchase. My father has been car shopping for the past nine months. He finally bought a new car last week. I seriously thought Jesus would return before my father bought a new car. Well, we will see. I am tired of all this shopping, but I guess that it is apart of setting up life in a different place. Peace!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely LOL'd at the Dan comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I am reading every blog, David! Keep it up!

    - Brian H.

    ReplyDelete