Monday, August 31, 2009

Waterfalls and Permits

Well, looks like I did not need to go far to become legal in Zambia. I received my work permit this morning; therefore, I can stay legally in Zambia for up to two years with no problems. Turns out my work permit was five minutes away from where I lived, and I only had to wait two minutes to get it instead of the three and a half hour drive and two and a half hour ordeal we made on Friday (read earlier post). Well, what is done is done.


After writing my post on Saturday afternoon at the office, I went back home only to find my house flooded. Before I left for the office, I decided to wash clothes for the first time. I figured that the washing machine worked properly and decided to leave while the clothes were washing. That was a mistake! Little did I know, but the washing machine did not work properly. Instead of putting water on my clothes, the machine decided to pour water all over my house for the entire period it was on (45 minutes). Therefore, when I came back, there was a half inch of water over 1300 square feet of the house. There is no Home Depot; therefore, I could not buy a wetvac. So, I spent the next three hours using brooms to sweep the water out the front door and mops to mop the rest of the water up. I had to look on the bright side. At least I was not bored. It was something to do which was good.


Nothing else much to report. Today, I am working on the a plan for the meeting on Thursday or Friday of this week with the pastors and principles. The rest of the week will entail starting to lay down the basics of a long term plan for the school year. The long term plan will change after observations of the schools and conversations with the people in charge, but I will begin to lay out the basics this week. Also, I will start buying things this week for my house. Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the flooding. Hope all is cleaned up and back to normal by now. Hope to talk to you later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there really a more honest job than sweeping water out of one's house?

    ReplyDelete