Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ceremony and School Observations




Yesterday was the official opening of the Jubilee Centre’s Resource Center/ Conference Hall. There were festivities all day long and an opening ceremony in the afternoon. The Resource Center is located just behind the main office building. This week people from Willow Creek Church in Chicago are holding training sessions in the Resource Center. The Jubilee Centre has very close ties to Willow Creek. I have included a picture and a video of the ceremony for you. The video is of the whole crowd singing a praise song. I have no idea what the words mean. I just try to sing along. They could be singing the white man is evil for all I know. I have not gotten that impression yet though, so I think that I am safe.


I have also included pictures of the Mapalo Bread of Life School. To be honest some of what I saw today was worse than I expect. Disorganization abound in some classes, and at times it was hard to say that learning was taking place. At the same time there were also some classes with very attentive students doing their work. The work that they were doing is a different subject, but it was good to see some organization and care put into the instruction. All in all I saw good things and bad things today. I have much work ahead of me, but it is not insurmountable. I do have a video of the school, but it takes a while to download. I will be sure to post it later.

1 comment:

  1. You were saying the other day that it is almost summer in Zambia. Do the kids have school during the summer? Do they go all year round?

    ReplyDelete