Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Water, Water, and More Water

Another post concerning the rainy season:
You have not experienced Africa until you experience it during the rainy season. Everything changes, the trees bloom and the grass grows. It is a beautiful place, but what you have to realize is that the drainage systems are terrible/ nonexistent. When it rains, it pours around here; therefore, you have a lot of places that have at least two feet of standing water. I was in Mapalo today when the rains started. Mapalo is purely dirt roads with no drainage system. Many times on my ride back I thought that I would be stuck even though I was in a 4x4 truck. I seriously felt like that guy in Jurassic Park when he is driving through the jungle in the middle of the rainstorm. Only difference was that I did not get stuck, and I did not have spitting dinosaurs about to eat me.
I thought that I was safe when I reached the pavement at the edge of town until I came to the lowest portion of the Ndola where all the water flowed toward. In front of me was two- three feet of water for 150 yards. I said that there was no way I was going through that mess until I saw small cars going through it and making it safely across. That prompted me and my 4x4 truck to venture on the journey. It was scary. Your tires are always slipping and waves are constantly bashing your car because you have to go through a tunnel. I would not recommend the venture, but I finally made it safely. Someone must improve the design of this city because this is ridiculous. The problem is that everybody just accepts that this is the way of life. Acceptance of these facts is a tough mindset to challenge because people have never seen change or growth.
One thing that I have been enjoying about the rainy season is the thunder. Growing up in rural Georgia, I loved the summer when the thunderstorms would roll in over the piedmont. I now am able to experience the thunder and lightening again here. I truly consider it a joy to be awaken at night by the clashing of thunder. It reminds me of home.

1 comment:

  1. HI David,
    I am one of your new followers and I look forward to keeping up with your African adventures. Anne Page is my Mother-in-law and she was in charge of the Women's Circle you shared with in Thomaston, GA (my husband, Donny's hometown) Anyhow...Africa is near and dear to my heart for a couple of reasons: First, my parents were medical missionaries in the mid-fifties in Belgium Congo, now Zaire. Presently, one of my dear nieces is working in Ghana. You must visit her blog when you have a chance, as your water story reminded me of a post she had this past week where they got really stuck in the mud! Her site is:
    http://snow4amyinafrica.blogspot.com

    May God bless you and keep you as you serve in His Name,
    Joan W. Page

    ReplyDelete