Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Answers- You Decide :)

I received an email the other day from a guy in Seattle that I met during my first week in Zambia. His home church partners with a church and their school here. We presented the idea of teacher training to them, and they were very excited about the opportunity; therefore, their school, Morning Glow, become one of the schools that we are training. Little did we know, but their church's main concern with the school and their partnership was a lack of trained teachers. They had specifically just prayed for that and become discouraged over that situation when I show up out of the blue. They had never had any partnership with the Jubilee Centre before our arrival.

I was supposed to give a talk yesterday to a Women's Mission Union in Thomaston, GA yesterday over Skype. The only problem is that during the rainy season our internet is terrible. An hour before the scheduled session the internet goes out. I do the only thing that I know how to do in those situations, I pray, and I know the ladies were doing the same. One minute before we are supposed to start the internet comes on and is perfect for an hour. The internet connection is not dropped for the whole time which is a miracle in itself. Usually you talk for ten minutes, get disconnected, and then try to pick back up where you left off.

Two examples. If you are not a Christian, maybe you just think these are coincidences and don't really matter. Unfortunately, I know some Christians who would probably have the same response. I don't claim to know exactly how prayer works, but I know that Christians are commanded to pray. Some may be saying, "David would you still be saying that if those prayers had not been answers?" My answer is yes because I have many prayers that have never been answered. I believe in the power of prayer, but I also believe in the sovereignty of God and I know those two concepts can fit together.

What I do know for certain is this? Many Christians don't even have a chance to debate these occurrences because these occurrences are not happening in their lives. These occurrences are not happening because most American Christians are too safe. I am not saying you have to move to Africa to be a real Christian, but Christians need to get serious about setting ministry goals that are unattainable. Comfort and safety are ruining American Christianity. If you think that setting up a teacher training program in poverty stricken areas of Zambia is attainable, you need to go back and reread this blog. Only if we are willing to take the risk and set unsafe ministry goals will Christians need the power of the Holy Spirit. Many church ministries are very safe and don't require the Holy Spirit; therefore, we don't see occurrences like this in our midst. Just something to think about. :)

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely- God does answer prayer and it is so evident in both of these situations. Also- to me the situation with the church in Washington praying for the one in Zambia is a confirmation that you are walking in the "good works" that He planned for you. What an awesome feeling to know God is using you to complete His plan. I also agree that we "play it safe" as Christians most of the time and don't put ourselves in situations where we have to depend on the Holy Spirit to work. We need to learn how to depend on Him for everything, not just the impossible.

    ReplyDelete