Monday, November 23, 2009

Another Rain Note

I know that I am writing about the rainy season again, but it affects life so much here. The rains have really come now, and when they come they come hard. There are not many times of light drizzle. If it is going to rain, it is usually going to rain hard. I wake up at night many times to the rain pouring on my tin roof. In September and October I always saw men digging the ditches along the roads. The ditches were three feet deep already; therefore, I questioned whether they really needed to dig them any deeper. I was wrong. They probably need to dig those ditches at least five feet deep. It is amazing how quickly the ditches fill up when it starts raining.

During the rainy season the internet and power supplies are also very sporadic. You can have internet one day and the next day the internet will be down because of the rains. I have no idea how the internet is affected by the rains, but it is. Who knows why the power supply is affected but that is also the way of life. For example, this morning the power is out at the office. The power is out just on our street though. Why, why, why? No one really knows, but I am typing this right now with the hum of a generator in my ear. What a joy...

On a good note, with the rains come cooler temperatures. A break from the heat is always nice (especially when you have not experienced air conditioning since August). I am staying dry though. I have a good raincoat and an umbrella; therefore, I am more than equipped for the conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment