Monday, November 23, 2009

Church Decision and Thoughts

After much internal debate, I have finally decided on a church. I am going to The Church of the Holy Nativity, an Anglican church in downtown Ndola. I made this choice for a couple of reasons. The main reason is that throughout my journey of church “shopping” I realized that I personally need order in my worship. That is a personal preference and definitely not a stipulation for all worship experiences. I love the liturgy and structure of the Anglican worship experience and the thought that many before me have gone through the same process and experience of worship.

The second reason is that the service is short. Call me unspiritual, but I can’t do three hour church services every week. I can’t do anything for three hours. I get bored watching movies for three hours. More than the time issue though, I hate inefficiency; therefore, if I think something can be done more efficiently, I can’t concentrate. Three hour services are great if they should take three hours. But if we could complete them in two hours, that really annoys me. I realize that this is my culture speaking, but a shorter service basically allows me to the opportunity to actually focus on the reason for being there. I know I have issues, but that is just the way I am. I have to switch projects at work every couple of hours in order to be productive. I work best in short two hour spurts. I know I have issues.

Thirdly, the church is a smaller congregation which allows me to get to know the people on a more personal level. Those are my reasons and the thought process behind my church choice. If you come visit me, will we go to the Anglican church? Probably not. I will probably take you to the slums to a church there, so that you can get a true African experience. Or we may go to my Anglican service at 7:30 a.m. and then catch another service after that. It’s called double dipping. It is what the saints do. I have never done it, but I have heard of legends who have. Just know that during the second service, I will be excusing myself to the restroom right before the preaching starts...

No comments:

Post a Comment