Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Beginning of the Departure

I am off from GA to DC. My flight is delayed in Atlanta right now, but they gave us a free card to use wifi on the airplane. This is a first for me. I am sure that there will be many more firsts this year, but wifi on the airplane is the beginning of that experience of firsts. After spending the next two nights in DC, I will leave early Friday morning from DC for South Africa, an 18 hour flight. I will arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa on Saturday morning and from there I will fly that afternoon to Ndola, Zambia.


When describing how I feel about my departure from the states, I have to say that I have mixed emotions. These last two weeks have been busy and relaxing at the same time. It has been busy because I have had to prepare for a year away from America. At the same time it has been relaxing because I have had the chance to spend time with my close friends and family. I continue to be scared but excited about this next year. It is funny because I am scared and excited about the same thing: the unknown. This fear and excitement of what is to come is natural and healthy in my opinion. In this state, we come to understand who we are and who we are becoming. Maybe this is the reason that I continually place myself in challenging situations which are full of the unknown.


Over the last couple of weeks, many discussions about the topic of our legacies, goals, and dreams have come up in conversation. As I depart for a year, I think a lot about those different concepts and what my dreams and goals for this year in Zambia will be. Lawrence Temfwe and I have already decided that the first weeks in Zambia will be spent learning and envisioning those dreams and goals for the year; therefore, much more writing will come on this subject.


I have to go but I wanted to write quickly concerning my thoughts on my departure. Thanks so much for reading, and I will be sure to update as soon as I can in Zambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment