Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Zambian Newspaper

In the Zambian newspaper on Sunday, there appeared this memoir. I have come to realize that there are some things that I will never understand about Zambians. If I lived in Zambia for 20 years, I still don't think I would understand why someone would write a memoir containing the words "savagely murdered." If you want to write a memoir, why not just say died or even just murdered.

I come back to my original point. Because of my upbringing, I don't know if I can ever understand why someone would write this. I am sure that people have their reasons, but for once in my life, I am o.k. with not knowing. Even though I have become very comfortable in Zambia, there are definitely days where I stare into the sky and say "Where am I again?"

1 comment:

  1. I surmise it may have something to do with some injustice or at the very least, some notion of not having closure. My guess is that they want to keep alive, in some small way, whatever event caused this person’s death.

    But again, you’re okay with not knowing so what does it matter?

    ReplyDelete