Monday, March 1, 2010

Zambian Cultural Value: Hierarchy

Let us continue our previous discussion of Zambian cultural values. Another thing that Zambians value is their hierarchy. I think a few of the reasons for this are because of the age issue previously discussed and because of the lingering effects of the colonial age which only ended 35 years ago. Whatever the reason, one must know that you are not supposed to disagree with someone who is above you in the hierarchy.


This hierarchy can be a social hierarchy or a tangible hierarchy such as those that exist in the churches many times. Whatever the hierarchy, I have never enjoyed or liked hierarchical structures. I understand that if used properly they can increase efficiency, order, and delegation of responsibilities. At the same time, I think that many times within hierarchies leaders try to create minions who will not question their authority. We many times call these people “yes men.” They always tell the leader that he is right and never disagree with his opinion.


I have never and will never operate as a “yes man.” My mother said that I have been like this since birth. I was your prototypical strong willed child who when told to do something would immediately push back against that command. I am still that way to this day. You can be the President of the United States, and if I don’t agree with your opinion, I am going to express myself. Of course, I always try to do it in a respectful manner that does not devalue the person, but I will express myself. The Zambian culture does not value this trait unfortunately.


One of the main places you observe this hierarchical structure is within the church. Most churches have a bishop, and no bad word is every spoken against the bishop. The red carpet is rolled out for these men which also annoys me. I am of the opinion that everyone should be treated equally, but in Zambia your treatment depends on your position in the hierarchy. In my opinion things are this way in America, but they are more overt in Zambia about it. In America, we just put up a facade many times to cover up our treatment of people within the hierarchy.


Let me again state that I love the order and structure of many high church traditions. That is one of the reasons why I love Anglican and Presbyterian churches. At the same time though if the bishop is not preaching truth or is not being held accountable, I have no problem with questioning him. I have gotten many a looks when I have questioned what a bishop says. I have also gotten many looks when I have questioned the treatment of bishops compared to the poor. In general, I have just gotten looks because I question things too much. I don’t just accept things, but in Zambia the prevailing attitude is acceptance without questioning.


Whether I like it or not, I am having to learn how to stroke people’s egos to accomplish what needs to be accomplished. O.k. stroking someone’s ego sounds bad. Let’s say I am having to learn how to efficiently operate within this hierarchical structure. I can butter up the police officers with the best of them (there is a good southern phrase for you, “butter up.” I still got it :). Let me translate my conversation with a police officer for you. “How are you today, sir? Yes sir, I have all of the documents right here. Thank you so much, sir. Have a nice day!” really means “This is a pointless checkpoint and procedure, and unfortunately I am presently questioning whether you are corrupt. I know though if I stroke your ego and feign my respect that things are going to go a lot smoother for me.” Maybe, I need to just stop feigning my respect for people and actually give them respect. The problem is again that I do not respect someone based upon their position, but I respect someone based upon who they are. What is worse: my feigning of respect or actually disrespecting them?


O.k. my analysis sounds worse than the reality of the situation. I have not challenged the authority as much as I have wanted, and I have only upset one person when challenging authority. It is something that I try to approach very cautiously, and I often times have learned to hold my tongue and nod my head, a.k.a. stroke people’s ego, because of the sensitivity of the cultural situation. The key is learning when to challenge. I think that it is in relationships that we are able to challenge the cultural values held by all people. That is why the most honest discussions which I have had have been with my coworkers at the Jubilee Centre. If anything, I have probably not challenged as much as I should. (I keep it bottled up inside. It’s a real healthy procedure you should try sometimes.) Lawrence Temfwe is constantly telling me to challenge more often people’s assumptions at the Jubilee Centre. It is a constant learning experience for me because through this experience I am coming to a greater understanding of the values I hold and why I hold them. My value of time, efficiency, and success is constantly being challenged, and I am having to wrestle with why I value those qualities. Needless to say, I am learning a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I think learning when to challenge authority and when to stroke an ego will serve you well in graduate school.

    Nice couple of posts.

    ReplyDelete