Monday, July 19, 2010

A Glimmer of Hope

Sickness is apart of Africa. It seems like every other day someone is not at work because they are sick. Recently, two of my good friends were diagnosed with malaria. I can comprehensively say that I never want to get malaria. Luckily, I have yet to be sick while in Zambia. I have a week to go, and I am knocking on wood like it is my job


From my experience here, I can say that there are many depressing things such as sickness and poverty that you encounter daily. The amazing thing though is that right next to the depressing situations there are also glimmers of hope. For example, while sickness is prevalent in the communities in which we work, there is also hope in the water projects the Jubilee Centre is starting because by bringing clean water we are able to fight water-borne diseases like cholera.


When telling the story of Africa, you have to tell both sides of the story. There are some amazingly sad situations, but there are also glimmers of hope. All is not lost.


On the funny side of life, two members of a team from the UK recently developed allergic reactions after they ate caterpillars for the first time. They were able to laugh about their sickness which is good because I was definitely laughing at them. I don’t think that they are going to need to worry about that allergy when they get back to the UK. “Excuse me, are there caterpillars in this dish?” Imagine if you asked a waiter that. Try it next time you are out to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment