Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Life Update


OK. I realize that I have not been posting recently; therefore, I have a little bit of a life update for you.


Teacher Training

As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, the teacher training in Mapalo is finished. After eight enjoyable months, we had our graduation ceremony on April 1st. The teachers were very appreciative of all that we had done for them and even gave me a gift in appreciation for all my work. It was definitely a moment of pride for me to see them finish the course.

One set of teachers down but another set to go though. Tomorrow, I will start training teachers in Kitwe for four days. Kitwe is a town approximately 45 minutes away from Zambia. (See posted map) This course will be shortened, but will cover 70% of our curriculum. In Kitwe, I will be training 25 school teachers who all teach in community schools. Schools are off during the month of April; therefore, for these four days, we will be having full day sessions to cover as much as the material as possible.

I will not be the only one training teachers though. For these sessions, I will take along two of my brightest teachers, Emmanuel and Samson, who I trained in Mapalo. With my supervision, they will be presenting half of the sessions. The goal is for Emmanuel and Samson to continue training teachers once I leave Zambia. I will not be in Zambia forever; therefore, part of my focus has turned to training others on how to train teachers.


Rest and Relaxation

After all the hard work over the past eight months, I have taken time over the past few weeks to relax a little. At the end of March, my cousins, Andrew and Kristin Timm, visited me for a couple of days after they climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. It was definitely a joy to be around people who have known me for longer than 8 months. I personally feel like I can relax more when I am around someone who knows me well; therefore, Andrew and Kristin’s visit was definitely a time of relaxation.

Highlights of Andrew and Kristin’s Visit

  • Going to a 4 and a half hour church service. I thought the service was only going to be 3 hours long. After that service, I am evermore convinced of the grace of God because it was truly only by the grace of God that we made it through the service.
  • Bargaining for souvenirs at the market. At the markets, you have to bargain, but Kristin did not understand this concept like I wanted her too. After she was ripped off the first time she bought something, I took her money away from her and bought everything else at a fair price. Kristin was not upset with me for that, but she was embarrassed by me because I will get the price that I want. I refuse to pay “white man” cost at the market; therefore, I am not the most loved man at that market. I have made such an impression at the souvenir market in Lusaka that they even recognize me now. Needless to say, Kristin was a little embarrassed with my techniques and quietly disowned me three times under her breath. But she got everything she wanted at a fair price.

Other than those highlights, our time was spent relaxing, catching up, and seeing the sights of Ndola.

Then last week, Lawrence Temfwe and I went away for a while for a time of resting, reading, and writing. We were preempting burn-out. You have to be careful about that around here. Needless to say, with training sessions, celebrations, times of relaxation, and all the traveling involved, I have not been around the office a lot lately. Life has been good though, and I am very excited to start training teachers again. zambia.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I feel so special to get a shout-out on the blog. You've made my day!!

    ReplyDelete